After years of speculation, estimates and projections, the Census Bureau has made it official: White births are no longer a majority in the United States.
I bet the racist blogs this morning are white-hot, pun intended, talking about this article! But for myself I say it is about time. I think that our strongest point as a nation is our diversity. We generally don’t have one segment of society having total say on the rest of us. Now I am not inferring that the tyranny of the majority doesn’t, or hasn’t, reared its ugly head in the U.S. but generally those periods are eventually overthrown by the vote.
Just look at other countries to see the fierce partisan divide between Sunni and Shiite, between Muslims and Jews, between this or that. We in the U.S. are just too diverse now for that to happen. There is one caveat to that however and that is the growing disparity between the 1% who currently control the vast majority of the wealth and the other 99% of us. I am confident that some day this grossly imbalanced fact will the ameliorated hopefully by the vote and not by violence.
We as a country celebrate our diversity as we rightly should. Let us pray that the partisan divide that is so visible in other countries never happens here again. Let us remember that we are now all minorities in our great country.