a particular form or stage of civilization, as that of a certain nation or period
I was recently introduced to the term “the culture of viciousness” and was immediately struck by its seemingly accurate description of our current times here in the U.S. and perhaps the world as a whole. The most appropriate term to describe what is going on in congress and in much of the country is viciousness. The way we seem to treat each other lately is very saddening indeed! Have we turned permanently to the dark side of civilization? I hope there is a way out of this current trend.
It is totally perplexing to me as to why we got to this state of affairs but I believe that it stems from the fact that the average everyday guy is just tired of running in place and still getting farther and farther behind.
- He has not seen a real raise in his income for twenty years.
- He sees the 1% get more and more each year while he gets less and less
- He sees statistics that show that he will be laid off or have to change jobs seven time in his working years.
- He wants to give his family many of the things he sees everyday on TV but can only do that by adding to his credit card debt and therefore digging himself deeper and deeper into a hole.
- Maybe most importantly he looks at his kids and can’t see that they will be any better off than him.
I don’t know if our current congress is mirroring this viciousness or just maybe the cause of it. Either way they are not setting an example for how we should be treating each other. The folks in congress are supposed to be our leaders and the wisest among us. Why aren’t they leading by example?
When Jesus, the foundation of our Christian establishment, was asked what is the most important he said to “Love God and to love your fellow man”. What we are doing today is the exact opposite of this. There seems to be very little love in any of us. How did we get into this state? But maybe more importantly how do we get out of it????