It seems that too many people come to faulty conclusions about this or that simply because of ignorance. I know that is a pretty rank statement but in some cases, it applies. One of those cases is the quote below where the author says that the opiate addiction crisis rampant in the country is due to the decline in religion.
As Religion Falls, Opiate Use Rises In America
While there is no direct evidence for a causal relationship, the simultaneous decline of religion and growth of opiate use offers a potentially troubling correlation for consideration.
I think the blame for much of the opiate problem lies in the fact that for the workers our economy has been stagnant for three decades or more. Middle-class jobs are pretty much gone except for those who are willing to do the work to get them. There is simply no easy path to the good life anymore. Things have to be earned now. 40% of the population is doing pretty good, the other 60% not so good.
Because of this, there are many disenchanted people around. They hear stories about their fathers and grandfathers who right out of high school got that good paying job in an automotive factory. They hear how a college education will set them back thousands of dollars with no guarantee of any real payback. They feel cheated and in some ways, I can’t blame them. But at least to me, this sounds too much like a pity party. Instead of doing what it presently takes they want to blame others because they had it easier.
I recently came across someone’s definition of a terrorist and that is a man unhappy with his personal life and looking for something beyond himself. That something in too many cases is a religious belief that condones and maybe even insists that others need to be punished for their lack of correct faith.
Everyone seems to be in the business of blaming others for their personal condition:
Religious organizations blame others for their declining membership. Instead, they should be taking a good part of the blame because of their political stands and their exclusion of too many who ask embarrassing questions or won’t blindly believe what they are told.
The politicians want to blame the other party for the low congressional approval rating. Instead, they should be looking at their partisans stands and their unwillingness to compromise for the good of the whole. It is just too easy to find a “bad” guy to blame in their world.
Too many who have not managed a more affluent way of life want to blame others. Instead, they should be looking to see what others have done to better themselves. They need confidence in their own abilities, not someone else to blame.
It is just too easy to find someone else to blame instead of taking a good dose of that blame on yourself.