To me, the most disgraceful thing about the current Oval Office occupant is his constant lying and exaggerations. I’m not sure how much of it is just plain ignorance, but even ignorance is no excuse. From the quote below he managed to rattle off ten lies in less than 10 minutes. Maybe that is a record but I kind of doubt it. I wonder what the total lie count is for the year just ended? Probably in the thousands..
- He inaccurately said the claims against Paul Manafort occurred “many years ago before I ever heard of him.”
- He misrepresented what a senator has said about the Russia investigation.
- He falsely claimed the Democrats “made the Russian story up as a hoax, as a ruse, as an excuse for losing an election.”
- He claimed to have “saved coal,” contrary to trends reported by the government.
- He overstated his influence on the special Senate election in Alabama.
- He gave a premature estimate of the cost of the wars in the Middle East.
- He falsely claimed to have “essentially gutted and ended Obamacare.”
- With no evidence, he accused other countries of sending their “worst people” through the diversity visa lottery.
- He exaggerated the trade deficit with other countries
- He exaggerated the number of followers he has on social media
Maybe I should forgive him for this horrible trait? He has lived a totally privileged life that has been centered exclusively around himself. I think his father was much like him so maybe it is inherited?
But one thing I am certain of is that the blame for him occupying that cherished real estate is the ignorance of the voters who put him there and the laziness of the ones who didn’t bother to vote at all. I hear leaks from his once buddy Steve Bannon that while he was campaigning he didn’t want, nor expect to be elected and was shocked as much as anyone else at the voter ignorance that put him there.
I find it somewhat relieving that we managed the first year of him and am hoping that this year will be his last and in 2020 we will have learned our lessons never to allow this to happen again.