For this new year my intention in the political arena is to overwhelmingly focus on the issues and programs that are put in jeopardy and on the congress and to ignore for the most part what is happening on in the executive branch. The less I use the “T” word the happier I will be. The battle in 2017 is to try to preserve our democratic (little “d”) values, liberties and accomplishments.
I recently got an email from Elizabeth Warren and as usual she is compassionate about keeping Donald Trump and the Republicans from dismantling what it means to be an American. Here are some words from that email:
We know what we are fighting for:
- We will NOT let them gut the rules on Wall Street or weaken the CFPB.
- We will NOT let them privatize Social Security and Medicare.
- We will NOT let them completely dismantle the Affordable Care Act.
- We will NOT let them weaken workers’ rights to good pay, decent benefits and the right to organize for better conditions.
- We will NOT let them cut taxes for billionaires and giant corporations.
- We will NOT let them cut investments in education, infrastructure, or medical research.
- We will NOT let them poison our air and water and destroy our planet.
- We will NOT let them rip apart families or build Trump’s stupid wall.
- And we will NOT let them legalize hate and bigotry against African Americans, Latinos, Muslims, immigrants, women, or LGBT Americans.
We will fight them whenever and wherever we need to fight them. We will fight them with more energy, more passion and more determination than ever before because the fights to come are going to decide who we are as a people, and what kind of country we will be.
If only Elizabeth had managed to be the Democratic nominee in 2016 our country would be looking a at a very different future.
I posted a few days ago about the Republican proposal to privatize Medicare and it is a scary one. Basically they want to give the healthcare providers the ability to charge whatever they want and to put the increased bill totally on the backs of us seniors. I don’t understand how they, primarily Mr. Ryan, thinks they can get away with that. But then again I can’t see why they think the same thing about this whole list of programs as cited above they plan on dismantling .
GOD SAVE OUR COUNTRY…