Let’s start up a new category with this post. As you have or will discover there are many different things that you can do in retirements. Therefore the retirement “Do’s” are almost unlimited. But there are also a number of retirement “Don’ts” that you should be mindful of. These are things that you generally don’t want to get hooked on in your retirement years. Let’s start out with my first Don’t.
Don’t Let Your Mind Go Lazy….
This is probably the most dangerous thing you can do. Yes, it is possible for you to simply lay down on the couch and spend the rest of your life scanning TV channels. But, if you let your mind go dead your body will soon follow! Keep mentally active in at least one major area of your life. One of those areas for me is blogging but I also have several other things that also keeps my mind tweaked. There are many other things you can do. Let’s run through a very limited list of possibilities:
- Blog for fun or even profit
- Become a mentor for a grade school or high school student
- Study all you can about a particular field of interest.
- Spend time re-reading all the books of your favorite author
- Become active in your local church or other religious institution
- Study up on the local history of your area. Do some special projects around that study.
Give some of your time to causes you believe in. Try to figure out unique ways you can help them.
It is not so much important what you do but it must exercise your mind. If you let your mind go lazy everything else will soon follow suit. Just don’t let that happen.
And the journey goes on….