As what happens to most of us, life turns on moments. There is that time when we clearly see that our future is about to dramatically change due to one moment in time. I can cite six clear times when that has happened to me.
- College graduation – It was the first time in my life that I didn’t have to worry about spending nickels and dimes. I could buy things without worrying how I would pay for them. But, even today 52 years later, I am still a spendthrift. 🙃
- Marriage – I was almost 40 years-old before I got married. I had given up any hope of finding someone who could love me. My Aspie traits were front and center, but I didn’t know they had a name. When that day came my life was radically different.
- When I became deaf – I was hearing impaired for most of my adult life, but when I lost that last shred of hearing my life changed radically. Without any sense of sound, lipreading becomes almost impossible. I thank the Lord, that I had someone there to help me through this moment.
- Retirement – I was one of those fortunate people who managed to work for the same company for 30 years. When I retired I had a well-funded IRA, 401K, and monthly pension check. That meant I could do almost anything I wanted for the rest of my life. I was no longer obliged to give someone up to 60 hours/week of my life. I struggled for the first few years, but finally managed to realize that I could do what I wanted.
- When I discovered I am an Aspie – I knew all my life that something was different about me. Socially, I just didn’t have any idea on what to do. I was almost ashamed that I couldn’t look anyone in the eye. When I discovered that many of these characteristics had a name and I wasn’t the only one to have them, it changed my life.
- Death of my wife – After 35 years of marriage, my wife died. We had our ups and downs, but I totally realize that she will be the only true love in my life. I continue to struggle living without her love and constant assistance in living in the hearing and social worlds.
How about you? I would love to hear about the moments in your life that turned your life in another direction.