When a fellow don’t have much mind it don’t take him long to make it up. – November 3, 1935 Will Rogers
As Will mentions here it doesn’t seem like many today have much mind and what they have is most often closed. They are fixated on one tunnel vision world view and absolutely nothing will shake them from that view. They have made up their minds long ago that their view of the world is the only valid one. It is almost like that guy about one hundred years ago that tried to shut down the U.S. patent office because he was totally convinced that everything had already been discovered. I’m sure to that poor stifled soul the pace of invention was dizzying and therefore would soon come to an end. He couldn’t imagine it unfolding any other way! He was very closed minded about that.
Closed minds has been a top of conversation for years. One thing about closed minds is that they always come with in-born prejudgment that are almost impossible to break. Here are some famous quotes about that
- A closed mind is a dying mind. — Edna Ferber
- Small is the number of people who see with their eyes and think with their minds. ~Albert Einstein
- Prejudice is the child of ignorance. ~William Hazlitt
- If only closed minds came with closed mouths. ~unknown
- What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other’s folly – that is the first law of nature. ~Voltaire
- Judge me all you want, just keep the verdict to yourself. ~From a Winston advertisement
- Morality is simply the attitude we adopt towards people whom we personally dislike. ~Oscar Wilde
Dealing with people who have long ago made up their minds about almost everything is like beating your head against a wall. What does it take to reach people like that? Or is it even possible? Maybe the best thing to do is simply walk away. But then again maybe that is just the easiest thing to do…..