Week 12 Inside The Loony Bin – Healthcare & The Supreme Court

Banner- Looney Bin

 This will be my first “official” report looking at the Washington DC loony bin from a drone level view. Here goes:

Healthcare – The GOP continues to try to formulate a health care plan that will abolish Obamacare. They have had 7 years to put this together but like usual in the loony bin, they wait until the last minute. It seems they can’t agree within their own party what it should look like. The RadCons don’t want anything, while others don’t want to cause anyone to lose coverage. I guess they are having a vote sometime today and I’m willing to bet that something will come out of the House sooner or later but it stands zero chance of getting through the Senate. It will be interesting to see what that body eventually has to say on this issue.

One major problem with all of this is that the conservatives don’t seem to know the difference between health insurance and healthcare. They think as long as they can convince the insurance carriers to offer a plan to everyone, it doesn’t really matter at what cost, then everything is solved. Of course, those of us outside the loony bin who happen to get sick once in a while know that the insurance stuff is just the tip of the iceberg. Getting costs under control is the major issue that they are totally ignoring. Another problem with the GOP is that they just don’t seem to like poor people. So, their first primary attack on Obamacare is to drastically reduce Medicaid funding. They just don’t seem to have any idea of what “Brother’s Keeper” means to the rest of us.

The only viable option to solve these issues is a single-payer system as the rest of the world already have. Over half of us are already there via Medicare and Medicaid so it is not as if that solution is foreign to us. In Canada, which has had a single-payer system for decades, healthcare costs per citizen is less than half ours. Maybe it is time to talk to them about how they accomplished that. But the loony bin would never admit they don’t know everything so that simply won’t happen.

Another interesting side point that is happening this week is that California is putting a single-payer system in place. I have to keep and eye on that in the coming months.

Supreme Court –  I see the loony bin folks are finally getting around to filling that year long vacancy on the Supreme Court.  Of course, the Democrats are playing the “sour grapes” card and that, of course, is about posturing which is the main business of all those folks. It seems inevitable that the current nominee will get the job but the opposition party has to strut around thumping their chests before that happens.

Oval Office Progress Report – Here we are eight weeks into this new administration and I can’t really see anything that they have accomplished? They try to ban people from coming into our country but the federal courts keep declaring their attempts unconstitutional. But the main problem is they just seem to run off on so many nonsense issues as to stifle any possibility of real progress. But then again, maybe that is a good thing. As my hero, Will Rogers said the best thing congress can do for the country is to take a three-week vacation and that is especially true for this current executive branch. Let’s give all those yahoos 50 weeks of paid vacation a year. That would solve a lot of problems….

 

3 thoughts on “Week 12 Inside The Loony Bin – Healthcare & The Supreme Court

  • I will be delighted if they cannot get the health care thing to work. Let Obama care go down. We need a single payer plan. That is what was promised nine years ago, that is what needs to happen.

    Like

  • I agree…single payer…it would make it all so simple and fair. I think the big insurance companies don’t want their huge profits cut and the ConReps don’t give a hoot about the poor or any minorities. They use their ” Christian” beliefs as a guise for their real feelings of racism, greed and feelings of superiority.

    Like

  • Thanks Jan and Mary for the thoughts. I have been on Medicare for 5 years now and my wife for 12 and we couldn’t be happier with it. We see very little of the paperwork involved and have never been denied medical care because we are on it.

    The main problem for us is that covering the 20% that Medicare doesn’t cover cost me twice and my wife five times more than the other 80%. But of course, that is because we are forced on the private market to get that gap closed.

    Like

Share Your Thoughts..

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s