This I Believe – Part 2

This is part 2 of a three part post on the words above by John Pavlovitz. Click HERE if you missed part 1.

I believe all religions are equally valid.

I totally realize that this belief goes against almost all religions in the world. Of course John, and certainly I, are not the first to believe that all religions have validity. Gandhi, another of my teachers in life, referred to “God” as “Truth” and treated most other religions as valid as the next.

I believe the world is bigger than America.

We in the USA are a pretty pompous bunch in that we think we are uniquely special. Yeah, we 5% of the world’s population gobble up more than our share of the world’s resources and have half the military armament, but that just makes us the most agressive.

Jesus was pretty clear that God sees everyone as his children, and he doesn’t play favorites. That poor malnourished kid in the third-world is just as important at the billionaire’s kids who will never know what it is to be hungry or even have to work to feed themselves.

I believe to be “pro-life,” means to treasure all of it.

This is a biggie for me when it comes to religious things. There are so many in the MAGA/Evangelical world who claim to be pro-life but that only applies to those who have been stripped of the privilege of being born. To them it seems that once you are born you are on your own. Killing people for the crimes they may have committed is God’s duty not ours.

ALL life is valuable, not just the unborn.

I believe whiteness isn’t superior and it is not the baseline of humanity.

In reality, only about 15% of the world’s population are white. To say that the other 85% are somehow less valuable is sacrosanct of utterly extreme arrogance.

I believe we are all one interdependent community.

If global warming has done nothing more than show that we are all in this together, then it’s recognition is a sobering success. Our little world can’t continue to exist until we acknowledge that fact.

Share Your Thoughts..

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s