No immediate bounce…

Source: Gallup: No immediate bounce for Romney after Ryan VP pick – Political Hotsheet – CBS News.

I am just not following all this presidential stuff like I used to but that doesn’t mean I don’t have an opinion once in a while and this is one of those whiles.  It seems strange to me that the VP pick in the GOP is from the conservative base of the party. Usually you pick a candidate that will bring in some additional votes. The Republican party certainly needs that as they seem to alienate more and more people daily.

But on second thought Mr. Romney is not that popular with the base of his own party.  He won the primary process simply because he outspent/outlasted everyone else. So to pick a darling of the radical right is just to ensure he gets most of these guys. But since they make up only about 25% of the electorate who appeals to the other 75%?  Maybe, by “preaching to the choir” so to speak Mr. Romney is simply trying to avoid a Goldwater type election where he is tromped by his advocate in November?

I’m sure Mr. Ryan otherwise known as the “Doctor of Death for Medicare” will get his ticket the diehards of the party but I don’t think all those independents, especially us seniors, will be impressed by his choice.

But what do I know….