For those of you who haven’t visited here much I will state up front that while I am very much a social progressive but I am also a fiscal conservative. I too think as indicated in this editorial cartoon by Jack Ohman “where did the Republican party go?” They once were the party of small government and keeping expenses under control. During those days I voted Republican about as often as I voted Democrat. But those days now seem to be a distant memory.
- The new GOP seems to be made up of screamers who want infinite military budgets so that can go after the “bad guys” wherever they can find them.
- They ignore thousands of needless deaths in order to justify their unlimited quest for the next gun.
- They say they are pro-life but don’t want to provide easy access to contraceptives to prevent unwanted births.
- Instead of providing mental health facilities and other social services they also seem to want to imprison everyone who might frighten them.
- They have mountainous fear and very little empathy or trust.
It saddens me to see the party taken over by what was once its radical fringe. I pray that those who are on the drum beat to another war give peace chance with the Iran situation.