While 80 percent of mainline Protestant pastors see Pope Francis as a true Christian, only 58 percent of evangelical preachers agree.
I am going to use the polling above as an example for this post but not its focus. There just seems to be about 25% of the population on the extreme right fringes in the U.S. that are pretty much distrustful of everything and everyone else. It seems that they almost hate the other 75%. Maybe they are just so stricken with fear that everyone is suspect of something they deem bad. They hate the change that is happening around them daily, especially when more potential adversaries are allowed to invade “their” country. I wonder just how many of this 25% are the same people in all the various scenarios? I imagine that the core is pretty high.
In poll shown above from evangelical pastors about 25% of them don’t think the Pope is a genuine Christian. They view him as either the anti-Christ or hopefully something a little less hateful. I know that there are several christian denominations who despise the leader of the Catholic church no matter who he is. I’m sure a large part of this negative response is from those particular groups.
What can we do to help this 25% of our population get over their fear of change and almost everything else? That seems to be the fundamental question at hand.
- Is there a way to convince them that change is not their bitter enemy?
- Is there a way to show them that their “good old days” were not as good as they now imagine?
- Is there a way to get them to love their neighbors, even those who might not be like them?
- Is there a way to convince them that the money they pay in taxes is necessary in order to maintain an orderly and civil society?
- Is there a way to get them to see that the income inequality occurring today is hurting our country?
- Is there a way to get them to see a brighter future?
- Is there a way to get the religious among them to see that their version is not totally right and all the others totally wrong?
- Finally, is there a way to get them to be less fearful of almost everything?
This is a serious list of issues that plague too many in our country and will likely take years to even begin to improve. Until that time it is up to the rest of us to not allow this relatively small minority to take us down with their negative beliefs. We need to understand and even empathize with their fears no matter how unreal they are but not be overcome by them.
I am That Wise Guy