There is so much disinformation flying around today that it is becoming a threat to our form of democracy. Why that is and who is responsible for reigning it in? That is what this post is all about.Read more
I am always looking to add new features and sections here at RJsCorner. Trying to improve everything in my life is what makes it ultimately satisfying. In the same light, trying to hold on to eternal optimism is a BIG challenge given so much of what is happening in the world today.
I have vowed to back away from the ugly world of American politics and I think I have been substantially successful in that endeavor. I don’t want to jettison it entirely as that would be a personal copout to me. I considered adding a topic of “#CO3’s Lie Of Today” but quickly found I would have to spend quite a bit of time studying the daily lies to decide the one that would be posted. Here is an example of that:
I have come to the conclusion that almost without exception when I see something he has said I believe the opposite. The trouble with the idea of “Lie of the day” it that he would have too much attention here.
I wisely decided to scrap this idea, even though it was enticing to actually compile the untruth that comes from this narcissist’s lips. Enough said, let’s get back to something more optimistic for tomorrow’s post.
#CO3 = Current Oval Office Occupant
Being unable to read is illiteracy. That is tragic but something even worse is being able to read but choosing not to. Of course, you know who I am talking about.
We have never had a president in our history who was proudly illiterate until now. He claims he is a genius and graduated first in his class at Wharton College. A reporter recently found public records of those who made the Dean’s List during those years and Mr. Trump was never on the list. So how could someone who graduated at the top of his class not make the dean’s list? Of course, that is impossible. But if pushed to it Trump would probably give another conspiracy theory about how the dean didn’t like that he was so much smarter than him that he erased his name.
This all brings to mind a personal story. I have let it be known here on RJsCorner that my mother, like our current president, was an extreme narcissist. Some of her regular fabrications were about her occupation.
- She proclaimed was a college graduate when in fact she very likely never graduated from high school. She was pregnant at the age of fifteen in the 1940s and then had a second child (me) at 17. Preganent girls did not attend high school during those years let along college.
- In another part of her life, she proclaimed she was a nurse when in fact she only worked as a receptionist in a doctor’s office for less than a year in her early twenties.
- Later in life, she proclaimed she was a doctor. This came about when she volunteered once a week for two months at a local medical center and they let her wear a white coat. After that, she added “Dr.” to her name everywhere she could.
- After her fourth husband died and I had to take over managing her life, I insisted she stop saying she was a doctor. Reluctantly she did so, but then she started telling all the assisted-living and nursing home folks that she was the head nurse at a major metropolitan hospital.
I don’t think she really consciously knew she was constantly lying. She was probably convinced in her own mind of each of the fabricated occupations. Her narcissism dictated so many lies in her life. The same thing is true for Mr. Trump and his fabrications. He claims he is a genius so there is nothing else he needs to know. He proclaims he is a billionaire but hides possible proof of it and calls it a “red line” if anyone should access his tax returns.
The primary symptom of Narcissism is that they make EVERYTHING is about them. There is no meaning outside of themselves. Sadly that proved to be true yet again when he recently tweeted about the latest school shooting. His point wasn’t about empathy, of which he likely has none, but instead about how investigating him made it happen. Everything has to be about him.
In closing, the trouble with compounding one lie after another is that it becomes impossible to keep them straight.
To me, the most disgraceful thing about the current Oval Office occupant is his constant lying and exaggerations. I’m not sure how much of it is just plain ignorance, but even ignorance is no excuse. From the quote below he managed to rattle off ten lies in less than 10 minutes. Maybe that is a record but I kind of doubt it. I wonder what the total lie count is for the year just ended? Probably in the thousands..
- He inaccurately said the claims against Paul Manafort occurred “many years ago before I ever heard of him.”
- He misrepresented what a senator has said about the Russia investigation.
- He falsely claimed the Democrats “made the Russian story up as a hoax, as a ruse, as an excuse for losing an election.”
- He claimed to have “saved coal,” contrary to trends reported by the government.
- He overstated his influence on the special Senate election in Alabama.
- He gave a premature estimate of the cost of the wars in the Middle East.
- He falsely claimed to have “essentially gutted and ended Obamacare.”
- With no evidence, he accused other countries of sending their “worst people” through the diversity visa lottery.
- He exaggerated the trade deficit with other countries
- He exaggerated the number of followers he has on social media
Maybe I should forgive him for this horrible trait? He has lived a totally privileged life that has been centered exclusively around himself. I think his father was much like him so maybe it is inherited?
But one thing I am certain of is that the blame for him occupying that cherished real estate is the ignorance of the voters who put him there and the laziness of the ones who didn’t bother to vote at all. I hear leaks from his once buddy Steve Bannon that while he was campaigning he didn’t want, nor expect to be elected and was shocked as much as anyone else at the voter ignorance that put him there.
I find it somewhat relieving that we managed the first year of him and am hoping that this year will be his last and in 2020 we will have learned our lessons never to allow this to happen again.
I still remember the words in this blog’s title coming from each of the cigarette company CEOs while testifying before a congressional committee in 1994. They all stood up and swore that cigarettes addiction was a fallacy. About that time I had been free from cigarettes for about two years after 25 years of use. Breaking that addiction was one of the hardest things I have ever had to do. To hear those seven guys tell me that lie shocked me but it wouldn’t by any means be the last time that happened
As Yoggi Berra used to say “its daja vu all over again” today when I listen to all those people around Mr. Trump say they have never heard him lie I think I am living in an alternative universe. We somehow went back 23 years in time! Maybe all those seven CEOs now work in the White House?
But then again it also reminded me that even though it seems worse, things are not that much different than they were then.
The GOP continues to be a party for the rich and they are willing to toss everyone else aside because the rich are the true capitalists who make this country great. Or maybe it is that we need to give them more money so they can spend it and it therefore flows, or should I say trickles, down to the rest of us. We just never seem to be able to get some sane people into our nation’s capital, especially in the Republican party.
One thing that has changed is the the Democratic party seems to no longer be for the working class guy but instead is now a champion for those along the fringes of society.
It is being said that with all the gridlock in our nation’s capital that all it would take is the election of six Independent senators and they could pretty much decide the direction of pretty much all legislation. Maybe, like Britain it is time for a strong third party in the USA. I would likely even contribute to one of them even if my state of Indiana would never have the guts to elect one.
🙂 🙂 Cigarette aren’t addictive, and Donald Trump has never told a lie 🙂 🙂